OPENING AND MANAGING OF CHURCH BUILDINGS IN STEP 4 OF THE Roadmap out of lockdown
Church of England guidance 1 September 2021 notes that ‘the Government has moved from overarching rules to stop the spread of the virus to guidance that emphasises the personal and corporate responsibility of individuals and organisations undertake actions to protect others and themselves.’
· We advise that those able to wear masks continue to wear them for services, including singing, and when moving around church.
· Small groups to make a decision on the necessity of masks or otherwise.
· When seated in the café, masks are not required, but advised when entering or leaving.
· Hand sanitizer stations will continue to be available and their use encouraged.
· Doors will continue to be left open to improve ventilation.
· If you would like seat space left between you and the next person, please take a card from reception to place on the seat beside you.
· The gaps between rows will be reduced. Strict socially distanced seating will be retained in the balcony.
· We will not, at this point, be making any changes to how we currently share the peace.
· The priest will continue to hand sanitise and wear a face covering when distributing communion.
· We will continue following a one-way system for communion and moving around church.
· We will retain only taking communion in one kind until we can return to the common cup safely.
· The collection will remain as a basket placed near the north door.
· As yet we are not able to return to serving refreshments after Sunday services, though Wednesday and Saturday refreshments resumed in the café from 1st September.
· Though not now mandatory, we will continue to provide additional cleaning of the church during this period.
It is no longer a legal requirement to wear a face covering, though the government expects and recommends that people wear face coverings in crowded and enclosed settings to protect themselves and others.
Other opening times are:
- Sunday Eucharist 10.15am
- Wednesday Mass 9.30am
- Friday Mass 10.30am (from 10 September 2021)
- Lunch with Us (takeaway service) continues on Wednesdays between 12.00-1.00pm
- Open Church from 10.00am-2.00pm Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays and Fridays between 10.00am-12.00pm only.
- The Church, including the café are additionally open on Wednesdays between 10.00am-12.00pm and Saturdays between 9.00am-12.00pm.
- The opportunity to pray or light a candle is available on each day.
Compline will be live streamed on the St Giles’ Facebook page on Thursday evenings at 8.00pm. Just simply like their Facebook page (www.facebook.com/stgilespontefract). You can watch the service live or at a time which suits
For information relating to weddings, funerals and baptisms, please visit the relevant page or contact the parish office on 01977 790448 or email email@example.com.
If you need to contact a priest please ring or email:
Canon June Lawson 01977 706803 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thinking of visiting St Giles’ Church for the first time? In normal times, we are an open, welcoming and inclusive church and we encourage you to come along and visit our lively and growing congregation in Pontefract.
Under normal circumstances, we hold services at different times throughout the week, so please do come along for a very warm welcome to our family here at the church. Information on our Service times can be found here